Jaharis Symposium on Health Law and IP: Technological and Emergency Responses to Pandemic Diseases
Thursday Feb. 22, 2018, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
DePaul Center, Room 8005
1 East Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL, 60604
- Conference Website: https://law.depaul.edu/about/centers-and-institutes/health-law-institute/symposia/Pages/default.aspx
Please join DePaul University’s Mary and Michael Jaharis Health Law Institute and the Center for Intellectual Property Law and Information Technology (CIPLIT®) for a one-day conference on pandemic diseases. The conference will focus on “best practices” in responding to emerging pandemic diseases, including: (1) how public health systems around the globe and in the United States can detect and should respond to threats of pandemic disease; (2) how to develop technologies to diagnose and treat pandemic diseases; (3) how to protect against pandemic disease agents as weapons and what civil liberties may be affected in a pandemic disease outbreak; and (4) what rights people infected with pandemic diseases may have in regard to their privacy and treatment, as well as for any bodily property that may become involved in disease responses.
The conference will include panels of academics and practitioners addressing the specific issues, and will feature talks by two distinguished keynote speakers, who have been deeply involved in pandemic disease responses and initiatives: Lawrence Gostin, University Professor and Faculty Director, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Georgetown University; and Richard Wilder Associate General Counsel, Global Health Program, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Transcripts of the panels and talks will be available on-line after the conference, and papers from the conference will be published in the DePaul Journal of Health Care Law, the DePaul Journal of Art, Technology & Intellectual Property Law (JATIP), and the DePaul Law Review, which are co-sponsoring the conference.
8:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Introductions
- Dean Jennifer Rosato Perea, DePaul University — Welcome
- Prof. Joshua Sarnoff, DePaul University– Introduction to the Symposium
9:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. Panel 1: Public Health System: Detection, Treatment and Containment
- Prof. Wendy Epstein, DePaul University, Moderator
- Dr. Julie Morita, Commissioner, Chicago Department of Public Health
- Prof. John D. Blum, John J. Waldron Research Professor of Law, Founding Director Beazley Institute for Health Law & Policy, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Dr. Nirav D. Shah, Director, Illinois Department of Public Health
10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Coffee Break
10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. Panel 2: Intellectual Property and Technology Responses
- Prof. Joshua Sarnoff, DePaul University, Moderator
- Prof. Jordan Paradise, Professor of Law, Beazley Institute for Health Law & Policy, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Prof. Ana Santos Rutschman, Jaharis Faculty Fellow in Health Law and Intellectual Property, DePaul University
- Mr. Adam Conway, Senior Counsel, R&D, Alliance Management, AbbVie, Inc.
11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Luncheon Keynote Speaker
- Richard Wilder, Associate General Counsel, Global Health Program, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
12:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Panel 3: Biosecurity and Civil Liberties
- Prof. Monu Bedi, DePaul University, Moderator
- Dr. Martin Cetron, Captain, U.S. Public Health Service, Director, Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Mr. Mark Parts, Partner, Parts & Spencer
- Prof. Barry Kellman, Professor of Law, Depaul University
2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Coffee Break
2:15 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Panel 4: Privacy, Informed Consent, and Property Rights in Biological Materials
- Prof. Ana Santos Rutschman, DePaul University, Moderator
- Prof. Radhika Rao, University of California Hastings College of the Law
- Prof. Liza Vertinsky, Associate Professor of Law, Emory Global Health Institute Faculty Fellow, Emory University School of Law
- Mr. Richard Prebil, Principal, Richard L Prebil, P.C.; Adjunct Professor, Beazley Institute for Health Law & Policy, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Concluding Keynote Speaker
- Lawrence Gostin, University Professor and Faculty Director, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Georgetown University