Geneva Cybersecurity Law & Policy Conference: What Civil Liability for Cyberattacks?
June 21, 2018, 9am–5pm
University of Geneva
Boulevard du Pont-d’Arve 40
1211 Geneva 4
- Website: https://www.unige.ch/droit/cybersecurity-liability/
- Online Registration: https://www.unige.ch/droit/cybersecurity-liability/inscription/
- More Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration Fees
The Geneva Cybersecurity Law & Policy Conference, organized in the framework of a research project between the University of Geneva and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, aims at presenting selected legal and policy aspects of cybersecurity in a crosscutting approach.
The following topics will be covered and discussed:
- Civil liability for cyber-attacks : selected issues and challenges.
- Data Protection and Cybersecurity Breaches : What Risks of Liability ?
- Risk management: What standard of care for victims of cyberattacks?
- The Future of Cybersecurity: Artificial Intelligence and other Challenges.
- Prof. and Vice-rector Jacques de Werra, Faculty of Law, University of Geneva
- Prof. Guy Pessach, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Dr. Yaniv Benhamou, Lecturer University of Geneva, Attorney at law, Lenz & Staehelin
- Dr. Tamar Berenblum, Faculty of Law and the Institute of Criminology, Hebrew University Jerusalem
The conference will take place on June 21, 2018, at the University of Geneva (Room R080) from 9.00 am until 5 pm. For more information, you can send an e-mail to
Prof. Yves Flückiger, Rector of the University of Geneva
Prof. Bénédict Foëx, Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Geneva
Prof. and Vice-rector Jacques de Werra, University of Geneva
Civil liability for cyber-attacks: selected issues and challenges
|9.20||Cybersecurity damages and private law: mapping the challenges
Prof. Guy Pessach, Cyber Security Research Center, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
|9.40||Interactions between civil and criminal liability for cybercrimes under Swiss Law
Prof. Damian K. Graf, Kalaidos Law School & University of Zurich
|10.00||What insurance against cyber-attacks?
Navid Kimia, Head of Specialties Romandie, Zurich Assurance
|10.40||Cybersecurity liability in the US: trends and perspectives
Prof. Stacey L Dogan, Cybersecurity Alliance, Boston University
|11.00||Economics of cybersecurity
Dr. Michael Kende, Senior Advisor, Analysys Mason & Visiting Professor, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
Data Protection and Cybersecurity Breaches: What Risks of Liability?
Dr. David Vasella, Attorney at law, Walder Wyss, Lecturer University of Zurich
Limor Shmerling Magazanik, Director of Strategic Alliances at the Israeli Privacy Protection Authority
|12.00||EU / GDPR perspectives
Olivier Matter, European Data Protection Supervisor
|12.20||Discussion followed by lunch break
Risk management: What standard of care for victims of cyber-attacks?
|14.00||Risk mitigation and management strategies – legal framework and challenges
Dr. Michel Jaccard, Attorney at law, id est avocats
|14.20||Standards in the banking and financial industry
|14.40||Regulating autonomous cars: a technology oriented legal approach
Gadi Perl, Cyber Security Research Center, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
|15.00||Standards in the software industry: what role of the Geneva Digital Convention?
Jean-Yves Art, Senior Director, Strategic Partnerships, Microsoft
The Future of Cybersecurity: Artificial Intelligence and other Challenges
Panel discussion (additionnal speakers to be confirmed)
|15.40||Introduction and moderation of the panel by Dr. Jovan Kurbalija, Geneva Internet Platform